- 1 1/2 Pounds of dried figs
- Zest of one orange cut off in long strips
- 2 Tablespoons candies Ginger, julienned
- One 3” Cinnamon stick
- 1/2 Teaspoon whole Cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole Black Pepper.
- 2 cups port
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
Tie Pepper and Cloves in cheesecloth. Put everything except the figs in a pot that can hold all the fruit in one layer and bring to a boil. Add the figs, bring back to a boil and then reduce to a slow simmer. Cover and cook about 20 minutes checking periodically after 10 minutes to be sure that as the syrup thickens it does not start to burn. If it is getting too thick add a little water. You can always reduce it later if need be.
Serve with a good runny Camembert and for contrast a hunk of harder cheese. I used Bulgarian Kashkeval.